The Lonely Centrist

A place for reasoned debate about the issues of the day.

See my complete profile

Monday, May 01, 2006

Straight Talk

Now here's some real straight talk: Speaking on Imus in the Morning, John McCain says his oath to protect and defend the Constitution comes after his obsession with campaign finance reform.

The quote:

"He [Michael Graham] also mentioned my abridgement of First Amendment rights, i.e. talking about campaign finance reform....I know that money corrupts....I would rather have a clean government than one where quote First Amendment rights are being respected, that has become corrupt. If I had my choice, I'd rather have the clean government."


And the link.

Meanwhile, the New York Times has an article of some relevance to the hypocrisy of GOP centrists on this issue.

LINKS
  • The Skeptic
  • Andrew Sullivan
  • Michael Barone
  • The New Republic
  • National Review
  • Democracy Project
  • Bob Bauer
  • Center for Competitive Politics
  • Ryan Sager
  • Going to the Matt
  • Professor Bainbridge
  • Volokh Conspiracy
  • Mystery Pollster
  • Amitai Etzioni
  • Alexander Chrenkoff
  • Middle East Media Research Institute
  • Right Democrat
  • Democrats for Life